Monday, August 11, 2008

The ULCER!

WOW! I mean WOW! I think that was the coolest thing I've ever done. It was so exciting to be a part of. There were 1600 riders that participated. I trained hard for this, and it really paid off. I really surprised myself with how well I did.

To line up the riders, they had 4 categories: team time trials, race pace (20+), medium pace (15-19mph), and everyone else. Rob and I ended up lining up in the "15-19 mph" pace. That seemed about what we had averaged over our big rides. To start, we found some club riders that were moving pretty fast, and just stayed in their draft. It was so cool to be a part of a peloton. The sounds of dozens of tires humming on the pavement, the constant warning shouts and hand signals, the POP! and pshhhhhh! of tires popping, riders going down that you had to dodge - man, it was such a rush. I ended up averaging 20.5 mph over the whole race. It was sweet! I'm still on a high from it.

I made a little video/slideshow of the event. I couldn't help but put it to the "Rocky" theme music, so watch out for corniness - but enjoy!

2 comments:

Ayrion said...

Spens!! Soooo Cool! Naw, Rocky theme definitely not corny...or is it....just reminds me of all those Rocky Mt. competitions!!! Well, hope your ulcer is getting better! Say hi to the family...loved the girls and emily in the clip...oh you looked pretty hip in the pics too!!!

Unknown said...

Honey I'm so proud of you! I think you're just the greatest. I knew you would do great on your ride, and you did.